Name of the School: Zanzibar Day Care Center
Location: Mbweni, Zanzibar
Mission Statement: Empowering young minds to embrace a brighter future.
Zanzibar Day Care Center caters to a total of 89 students, providing day care and nursery-level education. The school consist of 8 dedicated staff members that strive to create a nurturing and enriching environment for the young learners.
Grade Levels Offered at the School
The school offers day care and nursery levels, focusing on age-appropriate educational programs tailored to the needs of these young learners.
The academic programs for day care and nursery classes are designed to stimulate children’s development, including early literacy, numeracy, and social skills, fostering a strong foundation for their educational journey.
The school does not have any religious affiliation.
Volunteers will be supervised by the school’s director, Ms. Happiness Johnson. In addition to supervising volunteers, Ms. Happiness Johnson, as the school’s director, oversees various administrative tasks, curriculum management, and ensures the overall well-being of our students and staff. She is present at the school five days a week to provide guidance and support to the volunteers and the school community.
– Engage in morning circle time with children, including songs and stories.
– Lead educational activities focusing on literacy, numeracy, and social skills.
– Join children for a snack break.
– Supervise outdoor play and physical activities.
– Assist with lunch preparation and ensure children are comfortable.
– Continue educational activities in the afternoon.
– Encourage creativity through arts and crafts.
– Reflect on the day’s activities with children.
– Assist with cleaning and prepare to leave by 2:00 pm.
- 8:00 am – 8:30 am: Morning Arrival and Preparation
- 8:30 am – 9:00 am: Morning Circle Time
- 9:00 am – 10:30 am: Educational Activities
- 10:30 am – 11:00 am: Mid-Morning Snack and Break
- 11:00 am – 11:45 am: Outdoor Play and Physical Activities
- 11:45 am – 12:30 pm: Lunch Preparation and Assistance
- 2:30 pm – 2:00 pm: Afternoon Educational Activities
VVolunteers participate Monday to Friday, from 8:00 am to 2:00 pm from Monday to Friday. Volunteers are welcome throughout the year, except during the month of June.
Volunteers can participate for a minimum duration of four weeks and a maximum of three months.
Adhere to the school’s rules and regulations.
Show respect for and embrace the local culture.
Follow all guidelines established by the school.
Demonstrate respect for the school environment.
Refrain from smoking while on school premises.
Treat every child without discrimination.
Maintain appropriate and culturally sensitive attire.
Ensure that photographing children is done responsibly and with consent.
Understand that personal property is the volunteer’s responsibility.
The school is closed at the end of May and the end of November.
The distance between lodging and the school is 20 minutes by walking (2.5 km).
Volunteers have access to transportation options, including Boda Boda (2,000 TZS) and tuktuk (4,000 TZS), with the added choice of walking for those who prefer to explore the local environment on foot.
Desired Goals and Priorities
The primary goal of the school is to foster the development of competent, confident, and knowledgeable young children who can confidently face life’s challenges and contribute positively to society.
Collaboration between volunteers and teachers is essential, with volunteers expected to contribute positively to the school community.