Name of the School: Mombasa English Media Nursery & Primary School
Location: Mombasa, Zanzibar
Mission Statement: Education is the light of life.
Mombasa English Media is a tuition-free school that provides nursery to primary education for underprivileged children, including orphans and those from low-income families.
The school currently has a total of 97 individuals enrolled, with 88 students ranging in age from 3 years old to 15 years old and 9 staff members.
Grade Levels Offered at the School
The school offers Nursery, KG1, KG2, and Grade 1 to Grade 7.
Math, Arabic, Religion (optional for Muslim students), English, Kiswahili, Social science, Science and technology, Arts and sports, Library and Reading.
The school does not have any religious affiliation, and all students from all religions are welcomed.
The responsibility of supervising volunteers will be shared among the teachers on a rotating basis. Along with supervising the volunteers, the teachers will also be responsible for teaching and caring for the children. A supervisor-teacher will be available on-site five days a week to provide guidance and support to the volunteers.
Assisting the teacher in giving class, making sure the children keep up in class.
Playing during break time with the children.
Assist the Teacher in preparing lessons and occasionally teach under the Teachers Supervision.
- 8:00 am: Arrival at school
- 8:30 am: Start of First Class
- 10:00-10:20 am: Break time with children
- 10:20 am-12:30 pm: Assisting the Teachers
Volunteers participate four days a week from Monday to Thursday, from 8:00 am to 1:00 pm. Volunteers can participate in the program during all months.
– Only teach assigned lessons and adhere to the curriculum.
– Notify the school promptly in case of absence.
– Do not use personal electronic devices while teaching.
– Arrive punctually at the school.
– Refrain from smoking on school premises.
– Dress appropriately and respectfully.
– Maintain a clean and safe environment.
– Take responsibility for personal belongings.
– Volunteers are permitted to take pictures.
– Consult with the school administration prior to making donations.
– Strictly respect and adhere to Zanzibari culture and Laws.
The minimum duration of volunteering is four weeks, and the maximum duration is one year.
The school is closed from March 27th till May 5th (5 weeks Ramadan & Eid), June 26th till July 7th, and December 4th till December 29th. These dates are subject to change by the government.
The lodging is 3.6 km away from the school, and it takes 8 minutes by car and Public Bus costs 500 to 1000 TZS.
Tuk Tuk costs 5,000 to 7,000 TZS, while Boda Boda costs 2,000 to 4,000 TZS and Public Bus costs 500 to 1000 TZS.
Desired Goals and Priorities
The school’s primary objective is to provide quality education to all children in society, particularly those who come from underprivileged backgrounds and cannot afford it.
As a tuition-free school, Mombasa English Media relies on sponsorship to support the salaries of teachers and improve the school. The principal is actively seeking sponsorship to ensure all students receive quality education.
Volunteers are encouraged to collaborate with the school administration to identify areas for improvement and work together to develop a plan that promotes a positive and inclusive school community.