The Kiembe Samaki School is a small pre-primary school established in 2010, hosting 75 students of an age between 6-12 years old. Kiembe samaki diverted the school in 5 classes total. The majority of the students at the Kiembe Samaki is school is converted Muslim but all religions are warmly welcomed.
As a volunteer you will be assisting teachers and students, planned according to the situation and curriculum. The school is closed due to holidays in June, April & December, perfect timing for a volunteer to come over and assist the school would be from January- March and July- November.
“Click here for more information” (clickable, forward to information form)
- Volunteers can stay for a minimum of 3 weeks up to 6 months, depending on the skills.
- Proactive thinking and self- initiative expected
- Adaptability, independent working
- No smoking and drinking when at the project
- Patience- time is a relative and communication and explanation will be slow
- You are willing and able to work with limited resources
- It is not a problem for you to adapt to the local customs and to work with the local population
- It is important to cover knees and shoulders at school at all times.
- Male: t-shirt and long trousers (no jeans) is recommended.
- Female: t-shirt (no low-neck line or singlets) and trousers, skirts or dresses that cover the knees (no high splits in the skirt or dress that would reveal the knees or upper leg)
- In the month of Ramadhan, it is very much respected and appreciated for girls when covering up your head with a scarf and it is a must to respect the Muslim culture in general.