The St. Monica School was established in 1987. The School includes a Nursery and a Primary school and is located in the historical City Stone Town, next to the Anglican Cathedral and Slave market in Mkunazini Area.
St. Monica School is about 20 minutes away by Dala dala or 40 minutes by bike from the Volunteer house Zanzibar.
The St. Monica School is a Non-Government Organisation with a Catholic background. The School is managed by Anglican Diocese Zanzibar. Eventhough the School is run by the church, religious education plays a minor part. The school offers quality education to Muslim and Christian children from Nursery up to Primary school.
At the nursery school are 70 children, at the primary school are 170 children. The age of the children is between 2 – 15.
- Volunteers can stay for a minimum of 3 weeks up to 6 months, depending on the skills.
- Proactive thinking and self- initiative expected
- Adaptability, independent working
- Mastery of English language
- No smoking and drinking when at the project
- Patience- time is a relative and communication and explanation will be slow
- You are willing and able to work with limited resources
- It is important to cover knees and shoulders at school at all times.
- Male: t-shirt and long trousers (no jeans) is recommended.
- Female: t-shirt (no low-neck line or singlets) and trousers, skirts or dresses that cover the knees (no high splits in the skirt or dress that would reveal the knees or upper leg)
- In the month of Ramadhan, it is very much respected and appreciated for girls when covering up your head with a scarf and it is a must to respect the Muslim culture in general.