The Orphanage House Mazizini was established in 1964. The Orphanage House is a home for orphans,located in Mazizini Zanzibar. Mazizini area is about 10 minutes away by bike from the Volunteer house Zanzibar.
The Orphanage House Mazizini is a Government Organisation from the Ministry of Empowerment, Social Welfare, Youth, Women and Children Department of Social Welfare. And does not have a religious background. The house is also a home and nursery school for around 37 orphans and vulnerable children whose parents cannot take care off. The children stay at this place day and night. The age of the children is between 6 months and 16 years old.
The schoolchildren visit local schools like Kiembe Samaki school, nearby the Orphanage House.
The Orphanage Houses’ vision is to care for all the basic needs of the Orphans and to give them a standard quality of a living no matter their religious background.
- Volunteers can stay for a minimum of 3 weeks up to 6 months, depending on the skills.
- Proactive thinking and self- initiative expected
- Adaptability, independent working
- No smoking and drinking when at the project
- You are willing and able to work with limited resources
- It is important to cover knees and shoulders at school at all times.
- Male: t-shirt and long trousers (no jeans) is recommended.
- Female: t-shirt (no low-neck line or singlets) and trousers, skirts or dresses that cover the knees (no high splits in the skirt or dress that would reveal the knees or upper leg)
- In the month of Ramadhan, it is very much respected and appreciated for girls when covering up your head with a scarf and it is a must to respect the Muslim culture in general.