The Montessori Orphans Centre was established in 2006, hosting 8 employees total. The Montessori Orphans Organisation includes a Kindergarten and a Primary school in one building. The Primary school and Kindergarten are located in Bububu, 10 km North of Zanzibar Stone Town. Bububu area is about 45 minutes away by Dala dala from the Volunteer house Zanzibar. The Dala dala stops in front of the project in Bububu.
The Montessori Orphans Centre is a Non-Government Organisation without a religious background. The Orphans Centre is a home and school for approximatly 60 orphans and vulnerable children whose parents cannot take care of them. 35 Children stay at this place during day and night. The age of the children is between 0 – 15.
The Montessori Orphans Centre vision is to give the Orphans a better chance for their future with good education, spiritual practice and healthcare, no matter their religious background.
- Volunteers can stay for a minimum of 3 weeks up to 6 months, depending on the skills.
- Proactive thinking and self- initiative expected
- Adaptability, independent working
- No smoking and drinking when at the project
- Patience- time is a relative and communication and explanation will be slow
- You are willing and able to work with limited resources
- It is not a problem for you to adapt to the local customs and to work with the local population
- It is important to cover knees and shoulders at school at all times.
- Male: t-shirt and long trousers (no jeans) is recommended.
- Female: t-shirt (no low-neck line or singlets) and trousers, skirts or dresses that cover the knees (no high splits in the skirt or dress that would reveal the knees or upper leg)
- In the month of Ramadhan, it is very much respected and appreciated for girls when covering up your head with a scarf and it is a must to respect the Muslim culture in general.